Looking for a healthier way to grill out this summer? Search no more!! From burgers to sides, I have compiled some of my favorite tips & recipes on how to “healthify” your next BBQ! I also take a special interest because my husband and I just bought a new grill! It’s a beauty!!
- If you’re going for a classic burger, choose leaner cuts of ground beef (90/10 or even leaner), have chicken breast burgers or think outside the bun and try these Street Chic Egyptian Lamb Pitas by my dietitian friend Danielle Omar at Food Confidence!
- Play around with different toppings like guacamole, salsa, thinner slices of cheese and top with lettuce or spinach. Or get creative and make some DIY Maple Barbecue Sauce by Heather Pavlik!!! YUM!!
- Sliders are always a fun idea! This is a great option for portion control, just watch how many you eat! Here is a fun take on sliders by Nutrition a la Natalie, Pepper Jack Stuffed Black Bean Sliders! Nom, nom, NOM!
- Go topless or even bunless like this one I had a few weeks ago from Datz in Tampa…. YUM!
2) Steak, Chicken and More:
- Pick leaner cuts like sirloin, tenderloin and flank steak to grill instead of fattier cuts like ribeye.
- Kebabs are super fun way to lighten up your steak! Load the kebabs up with steak, chicken or shrimp & colorful veggies.
- Go for grilled chicken or fish!! Here is a delicious recipe from Rachel Hartley of Avocado a Day Nutrition for Cedar Plank Trout with Asian Guacamole — Looks and sounds phenomenal!!
3) Simple Sides:
- Try simple grilled corn, grilled potato wedges, or these super simple Grilled Asparagus from Holley Grainger!
- Go for a different take on salads with a wedge salad or I like to call this a “Man Salad”! You can actually grill the romaine for a really interesting charred flavor! Try this Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese from Cooking Light!! YUM!!
- Also, try grilled fruit like pineapple, bananas or even grapes! This Grilled Grape Farro Salad from Jessica at Nutritioulicious sounds sooooo YUMMY!!