Happy Monday my friends!
I am super excited to share with you one of my new favorite meals! I made this for my husband and I last week and it was divine! It was perfect for the “cold snap” we Floridians experienced and the REAL cold the rest of the nation endured.
1. It has delicious kale and it is perfectly wilted and delicious.
2. Instead of using milk or cream to make this soup thick, creamy and dreamy; you simply mash a quarter of the white beans to mimic the texture.
3. It’s SOO simple!! You can do everything in one pot and the clean up is minimal! I was even able to find pre chopped/prepared organic kale at my grocery store. If not, click here for simple kale prepping tips.
Seriously, this soup is amazing! As my husband put it “home run”. And he is surprisingly picky for how nice and handsome he is…
Adapted from Martha StewartServes 6-8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound (about 2 bunches) kale or collard greens, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, Italian style in juice
- Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)
- Optional: 1 package Trader Joes Chicken Sausages – Garlic and Herb
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until onion is coated, about 30 seconds. Add kale and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place 1/4 of beans in a bowl, and mash them with the back of a spoon (this will help thicken soup). Add all the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, until collards are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; serve with grated Parmesan and crusty bread, if desired.